- Faulty wiring—open junction boxes, amperage mismatches, no wire nuts on wires.
- The cure: Fix junction boxes; upgrade to at least 100 amps.
- Poor grading and drainage—spongy soil around the foundation, signs of leaking in the basement.
- The cure: Regrade so that grounds slopes away from the house for 10 feet; remove porous material around the foundation.
- Faulty gutters—clogged or bent gutters, water not channeled away from the house.
- The cure: Preventive maintenance; gutters of adequate size, splash pans to divert run-off.
- Basement dampness—water stains, powdery residue on walls, mold or mildew.
- The cure: Repair gutters to channel water away from the house; apply waterproof coatings to the basement.
- Roof problems—brittle or curled shingles; broken or missing flashings.
- The cure: Apply new shingle, or tear off if needed (usually after three re-roofs ); replacing flashings, especially around chimneys and other protrusions.
- Foundation flaws—cracks in foundation, sloping floors, sticking doors or windows.
- The cure: Fill cracks with silicon caulking or epoxy; apply waterproof coating to the exterior.
- Poor upkeep—needs repainting, worn carpeting, cracked driveway.
- The cure: Give the house a minor facelift.
- Faulty plumbing—inadequate water pressure, slow drains, signs of leaks on ceilings.
- The cure: Clean and rout drains; reseat toilet with a new wax ring, repair leaks.
- Poor ventilation—extreme heat in the attic, vapor condensation.
- The cure: Ensure that roof soffits are not blocked; install additional roof vents; vent bathroom and kitchen fans outside.
- Defective heating—cracks in the heat exchanger or water tank; carbon monoxide leaks.
- The cure: Reseal chimney flues; replace sacrificial anode in the water heater.
Welcome to the LITopAgent.com Blog
What are the most common home inspection issues?
Blog Archive2019-10-31 12:05:18
Your mortgage refinance checklist:
Pending Sales Surprise, Up 1.5 Percent
Learn About Your Local Neighborhood -- Or One You're Considering
The Myth of the 20% Down Payment
2020 Housing Market: What the Experts Think
How to decide to remodel your home or sell it
10 Easy Hacks to Save Money
360° Minute - 'The 15 Must Do’s for Fall Clean Up' 🍁 🍂
Economic Roundup October 2019
Market Movement October 2019
Fed Lowers Rate, Faces Growing Policy Divide
Make Fall Decorating Easy with 3 Inspirational Apps
Are You Ready for the ‘Black Friday’ of Real Estate?
Why an Investment Property Should Be Your First Real Estate Purchase
Is there a difference between mortgage prequalification and preapproval?
Should You Pay Off Your Mortgage Before You Retire?
How do first-time home-buyer mortgages differ from other mortgage types?
Summer Is Winding Down! Is buying a new home on your agenda for this fall?
Real Estate Market Review
Fed Cuts Rate for First Time Since 2008, Markets Rattled
The Fed Cuts Rates by a quarter-percentage-point. What Now?
Click here to see ALL articles.