- Faulty wiring—open junction boxes, amperage mismatches, no wire nuts on wires.
- The cure: Fix junction boxes; upgrade to at least 100 amps.
- Poor grading and drainage—spongy soil around the foundation, signs of leaking in the basement.
- The cure: Regrade so that grounds slopes away from the house for 10 feet; remove porous material around the foundation.
- Faulty gutters—clogged or bent gutters, water not channeled away from the house.
- The cure: Preventive maintenance; gutters of adequate size, splash pans to divert run-off.
- Basement dampness—water stains, powdery residue on walls, mold or mildew.
- The cure: Repair gutters to channel water away from the house; apply waterproof coatings to the basement.
- Roof problems—brittle or curled shingles; broken or missing flashings.
- The cure: Apply new shingle, or tear off if needed (usually after three re-roofs ); replacing flashings, especially around chimneys and other protrusions.
- Foundation flaws—cracks in foundation, sloping floors, sticking doors or windows.
- The cure: Fill cracks with silicon caulking or epoxy; apply waterproof coating to the exterior.
- Poor upkeep—needs repainting, worn carpeting, cracked driveway.
- The cure: Give the house a minor facelift.
- Faulty plumbing—inadequate water pressure, slow drains, signs of leaks on ceilings.
- The cure: Clean and rout drains; reseat toilet with a new wax ring, repair leaks.
- Poor ventilation—extreme heat in the attic, vapor condensation.
- The cure: Ensure that roof soffits are not blocked; install additional roof vents; vent bathroom and kitchen fans outside.
- Defective heating—cracks in the heat exchanger or water tank; carbon monoxide leaks.
- The cure: Reseal chimney flues; replace sacrificial anode in the water heater.
Welcome to the LITopAgent.com Blog
What are the most common home inspection issues?
Blog Archive2020-02-03 08:26:10
Economic Roundup February 2020
5 myths surrounding home loans
Cost vs. Value: 2020 Home Improvement Projects With the Highest ROI
Housing is Healthy Heading Into 2020
What Happens at Closing?
Inspections vs. Appraisals vs. AVMs
Credit Scores Demystified
A quick guide to home loans on investment properties
What will 2020 Bring for Borrowers?
4 Resolutions for Home Improvements to Make in 2020
4 Things NOT to Do When Putting Your Home on the Market
Economic Roundup January 2020
FROM ONLINE TO IN STORE: HOW TO CRAFT THE PERFECT HOLIDAY SOCIAL MEDIA MESSAGES
How to know when refinancing is a good or bad idea
Exploring the benefits of VA home loans
Market Movement November 2019
Easy Ways to Give Back During The Holidays
REAL ESTATE NEWS
Your mortgage refinance checklist:
Pending Sales Surprise, Up 1.5 Percent
Learn About Your Local Neighborhood -- Or One You're Considering
The Myth of the 20% Down Payment
2020 Housing Market: What the Experts Think
How to decide to remodel your home or sell it
Click here to see ALL articles.