Child-proofing tips to keep your kids safe in your home 👶 By Matt Berenz of Berenz Home Inspections 360°
A home can be a very dangerous place for a little one if not proper safety precautions are taken. Having a 2-year-old myself, I am well aware of all the places and things a toddler can get into. I've identified below some safety devices that you can simply install in your home to prevent potential injuries to your ever-so-curious and exploring toddler.
1. Use safety latches and locks for cabinets and drawers in kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas to help prevent poisonings and other injuries. Safety latches and locks on cabinets and drawers can help prevent children from gaining access to medicines and household cleaners, as well as knives and other sharp objects.
2. Use safety gates to help prevent falls down stairs and to keep children away from dangerous areas. Look for safety gates that children cannot dislodge easily, but that adults can open and close without difficulty. For the top of stairs, gates that screw into the wall are more secure than 'pressure gates.'
3. Use door locks and or covers to help prevent children from entering rooms and other areas with possible dangers, including swimming pools.
To prevent access to swimming pools, door locks on safety gates should be placed high, out of reach of young children. Locks should be used in addition to fences and alarms. Sliding glass doors with locks that must be re-secured after each use are often not an effective barrier to pool access.
5. Use receptacle or outlet covers and plates to help prevent children from electrical shock and possible electrocution.
6. Although CORDLESS is BEST, cut window blind cords to help prevent children from strangling in blind cord loops. Window blind cord safety tassels on miniblinds and tension devices on vertical blinds and drapery cords can help prevent deaths and injuries from strangulation in the loops of cords. Inner cord stops can help prevent strangulation in the inner cords of window blinds.
Berenz Home Inspections 360° is an NYS licensed home inspector. We offer competitive rates, quality service and provide same-day reporting. Proudly serving all of Nassau and Suffolk counties, call us today to see why we are becoming one of the leading home inspectors on Long Island!!
Blog Archive2019-10-31 12:05:18
Your mortgage refinance checklist:
Pending Sales Surprise, Up 1.5 Percent
Learn About Your Local Neighborhood -- Or One You're Considering
The Myth of the 20% Down Payment
2020 Housing Market: What the Experts Think
How to decide to remodel your home or sell it
10 Easy Hacks to Save Money
360° Minute - 'The 15 Must Do’s for Fall Clean Up' 🍁 🍂
Economic Roundup October 2019
Market Movement October 2019
Fed Lowers Rate, Faces Growing Policy Divide
Make Fall Decorating Easy with 3 Inspirational Apps
Are You Ready for the ‘Black Friday’ of Real Estate?
Why an Investment Property Should Be Your First Real Estate Purchase
Is there a difference between mortgage prequalification and preapproval?
Should You Pay Off Your Mortgage Before You Retire?
How do first-time home-buyer mortgages differ from other mortgage types?
Summer Is Winding Down! Is buying a new home on your agenda for this fall?
Real Estate Market Review
Fed Cuts Rate for First Time Since 2008, Markets Rattled
The Fed Cuts Rates by a quarter-percentage-point. What Now?
Click here to see ALL articles.